Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What a great semester






This evening I had the pleasure of attending the Volunteer Recognition Ceremony and Reception at the Field Museum and, most excitingly, my name was included on the program. Yes, it was among many others but I still felt very proud to be a part of something like that. The ceremony recognized the hard work of the volunteers at the museum over the year and had special recognitions for those who have committed 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35 years to the museum, as well as being hosted by John McCarter who gave a speech he called "15 years at the Field Museum in 15 minutes....or so" which was inspiring and surprisingly funny. The presentation outlined how much the museum has accomplished in the last decade and a half and how widespread the museum is. The Field has research on all 7 continents, more conservation projects than any other museum, has lent out exhibits all over the world and adds roughly 500 new species to it's catalogs every day. The reception served as the perfect ending to the semester, I feel I have learned to much about museum education, the docents themselves and how to effectively convey information to the general public. I was only able to take a few pictures during the evening as I had to hurry home to my looming final papers but I was so glad to be able to take pictures with my favorite docent (Dennis Kinzig, who was recognized for having volunteered more than 400 hours of service over the year), with Dr. Johnson, a picture of John McCarter giving his speech and, of course, the dessert table in front of Sue the dinosaur.

No comments:

Post a Comment